Orange and chocolate is such a popular flavour combination, especially here in New Zealand. So when these flavours are used in a cake, it’s hard to turn down a slice. However, if you have reservations about a slice of cake being a little bit on the ‘naughty’ side, you’ll be pleased to know I’ve approached this recipe with a slightly healthier goal in mind.
Not only is this recipe gluten free and dairy free, I decided to experiment with a new sweetener product I hadn’t used before. WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co. has an innovative range of better tasting sweeteners crafted and blended from 100% natural ingredients. Sweetened with the all-natural stevia leaf, I’m often a little apprehensive about the aftertaste with stevia products. However once baked you can’t even tell and also only requires half the amount of WHOLE EARTH compared to regular sugar, for the same sweetness. So for this recipe I decided to try WHOLE EARTH Baking Blend, which is a blend of raw cane sugar and stevia, perfect for baking projects.
So with 50% less calories from sugar, I’d like to say this recipe is a win-win if you’re after a little something sweet. This cake is nice and fudgy and has smooth hints of both chocolate and orange and pairs perfectly with an Orange Crème Fraîche (Recipe below, unfortunately not dairy-free), or your favourite dairy-free yoghurt.
If you’d like to try WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co. for yourself, scroll down for a giveaway to get you started!
- 300g Ground Almonds
- 120g WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co. Baking Blend
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 2 Medium Orange
- 6 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- Sliced Almonds - Optional
- Orange Crème Fraîche
- 200g Crème fraîche
- ½ Tablespoon WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co.Baking Blend
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Turn oven on to 180 degrees bake and line a 20cm round baking tin with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Slice the ends from both oranges, then cut into segments. Making sure to remove any seeds. Place segments into a food processor, skin and all.
- Add WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co. Baking Blend with the oranges in the food processor and blitz until pureed.
- To melt the dark chocolate, place in a small saucepan over a larger saucepan of simmering water. Use the heat of the rising steam to melt the chocolate, stirring often (Don’t let the chocolate pot touch the water below).
- Once the chocolate is melted and smooth, leave to cool slightly before pouring in with the orange puree in the food processor while blitzing on a medium speed.
- Add the eggs and oil and continue to blitz for another couple of minutes.
- Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients to the food processor and blitz until all ingredients come together in a smooth batter.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and sprinkle with sliced almonds (Optional).
- Bake for around 50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Eat warm or allow to cool.
- (Optional) To make the Orange Crème Fraîche, add the crème fraîche, orange peel and WHOLE EARTH Baking Blend to a bowl or jug and mix with a hand-held beater until well combined. Serve a dollop along a slice of Orange Chocolate Almond Cake and enjoy. If you’re after a dairy-free option, serve with your favourite dairy-free yoghurt.
Giveaway! – Closed
WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co. would love for you to try their range of sweeteners in your home too. So to help you out, I have a prize pack with the full range of WHOLE EARTH Sweetener Co. products valued at $50 to give away to a lucky reader. To enter, simply leave a comment below with what you’d like to bake, or experiment with, using the range.
One winner will be chosen at random and notified here on Friday 13th July. Open to New Zealand only.
Thanks to all those who entered by sharing how they’d use their Whole Earth Sweeteners if given the chance. There were lots of neat baking ideas, as well as substituting the sugar in some of my own recipes here on the website. However there can only be one winner:
Congratulations to – Hayley Beach!
Hayey, could you please email me with your postal details and I’ll get your Whole Earth Sweetener Co. prize pack sent out to you ASAP. Thanks again for entering.