Burger joints have been popping up all over the country for some time now and sometimes there’s nothing quite like a giant burger you just want to sink your teeth into. However sometimes is can be a labour of love and pay off in more ways than one if you’re able to prepare your own burgers at home when hosting guest. This flavour combo and recipe here will definitely get the room talking!
With that said, a great burger isn’t complete without lots of mayo and Bests Foods Mayo is undoubtedly a household favourite here in New Zealand. I was excited to hear that the Best Foods ambassador Jo Wilcox has just put together a new range of delicious burger recipes for you to try out at home. This got me inspired to give one of Jo Wilcox’s burger recipes a go myself, with a Baker Gatherer twist of course!
I’m a big fan of experimenting with flavours, combinations and fusions, so I decided to play around with sweet and savoury for a delicious new burger concept. So let me introduce you to my Caramel Apple Pulled Pork Burger, a Baker Gatherer twist on Jo Wilcox’s Smokey Pulled Pork Burger.
For me nothing screams apple more than pork and with a carnival twist on the candied apple, this was a flavour combo I couldn’t resist and experiment with. Served with an fresh Apple Slaw and lots of Best Food Mayo, this is then crammed between my sweet Caramel Brioche Burger Rolls to complete a carefully balanced experience which will excite your taste buds. I know you’re curious.
If you love burgers and Best Foods Mayo as much as I do, you’ll be excited to know that Best Foods are hitting the road to serve up sliders created by Jo Wilcox herself.
If you’re interested in getting along to one of Best Foods Burger Truck stops, here are the dates, times and locations below:
- Friday 28th of April, 5pm-9pm, Basement Theatre, Auckland
- Saturday 29th of April, 5pm-9pm, Basement Theatre, Auckland
- Saturday 6th of May, 11am-4pm, Northwest Shopping Centre, Auckland
- Sunday 7th of May, 12pm-7pm, Sylvia Park Shopping Centre, Auckland
- Thursday 11th of May, 11am-4pm, Elliot Street car park, Auckland
- Saturday 13th of May, 11am-4pm, The Base Shopping Centre, Hamilton
- Friday 19th of May, The Boatshed, Wellington waterfront
- Saturday 20th of May, Wellington Rowers Club
I’ll be heading along to the event in Hamilton on Saturday 13th of May, so it will be good to meet anyone who loves food as much as I do! Also don’t forget to share your Best Burger experience by using the hashtag #bestburgertour
- Caramel Brioche Rolls
- 500g High Grade Flour + Extra if needed
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Salt
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Surebake Yeast
- 300ml Lukewarm Water
- 4 Tablespoons Caramel Filling
- 2 Large Egg
- 30g Butter - Room Temp
- + 1 Egg for brushing
- Caramel Apple Pulled Pork Burger
- 1 Pork Shoulder - Approx. 1kg
- 1 Litre Apple Cider
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Ginger
- 1 Baking Apple - Diced
- 80g Brown Sugar
- 150g Apple Purée
- 30g BBQ Sauce
- 240g Coleslaw
- 1 Apple - Grated
- Best Foods Mayo
- 8 Caramel Brioche Rolls
- Caramel Brioche Rolls
- Measure warm water in a jug, then stir in caramel filling and brown sugar. Sprinkle in yeast and stir gently, allow to rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
- While resting, add flour and salt to the bowl of a free-standing mixer. Rub in butter until it resembles a fine crumb.
- Beat egg and add to flour, along with yeast mixture. Using dough hook, knead for about 10 minutes until dough comes together with an elastic texture. Add a little more flour if too sticky, a teaspoon at a time.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling wrap and place in a warm area for 1-2 hours until doubled in size. I like to use a hot water cupboard or a sunny spot.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead again lightly on a floured surface to remove any air bubbles. Evenly cut dough into 8 and roll into balls, stretching dough around and pitching tidily at the bottom.
- Evenly space dough balls across a lined baking tray, cover with a tea towel and return to a warm area for another 1-2 hours.
- Flick oven on to 200 degrees and preheat in preparation for baking.
- Beat and egg and brush dough all over. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Remove and allow to cool.
- Caramel Apple Pulled Pork
- Flick oven on to 170 degrees.
- Place pork shoulder in a medium roasting dish and rub with cinnamon and ginger. Dice baking apple and place around Pork. Finally pour over apple cider and cover with foil. Cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours until juices run clear and shoulder has cooked through.
- Allow to cool and rest slightly until you're able to to shred and set aside.
- Using 1 cup of the cooking liquid, add this to a saucepan and simmer over a low heat along with the brown sugar for a few minutes or until sauce starts to darken slightly. Add apple purée and BBQ sauce and continue to simmer for a few more minutes.
- Combine sauce and pork and keep warm.
- Grate an apple and toss through coleslaw along with 4-5 tablespoons of Best Foods Mayo.
- Slice Caramel Brioche Rolls and fill with lots of Apple Slaw, Pulled Pork and more Best Foods Mayo. Enjoy this flavour explosion!