There’s always the demand to do things quicker, have more energy and live a little healthier. When it comes to baking or a little something sweet, we sometimes feel these same pressures. Luckily it doesn’t always have to be this way and occasionally we are allowed a little indulgence.
This cheesecake doesn’t need to be rushed and you’re allowed to take your time enjoying this one. The added bonus is that it’s full of lots of the good stuff thanks to the base which is full of ancient and super grains such as Amaranth, Buckwheat and Quinoa just to name a few. All of these grains have plenty of nutritional benefits and help to boost your fibre and protein intake as well as added energy!
Inspired by the new SuperGrains bars by Tasti, there’s no need to feel shy or naughty about making this raw cheesecake for yourself, friends and your family. Starting with a delicious sweet and crunchy supergrain base this is then topped with two smooth layers, creamy coconut and rich cocoa.
See below for an extra special giveaway to try Tasti’s new SuperGrain bars for yourself.
- 260g Pitted Dates
- 70g Whole Almonds
- 20g Rolled Oats
- 20g Quinoa
- 20g Amaranth
- 20g Buckwheat
- 20g Millet
- 20g Desiccated Coconut
- 10g Puffed Brown Rice
- 2 Tablespoon Water
- 450g Unsalted Cashews
- 140g Coconut Oil
- 200g Maple Syrup
- 400g Coconut Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 40g Cocoa Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- For this cheesecake you'll need a 20cm round cake tin, I like to use a spring-form tin. Start by lining the bottom and sides with either grease proof paper or foil and set aside.
- Using a large food processor, blitz the almonds into a fine crumb. To this, add the oats and buckwheat and give about 3 pulses to break up slightly.
- Pour almond mix into a large bowl and add to this the other grains including the coconut. Reserve the puffed brown rice at this stage.
- Using the food processor again, add the dates along with 2 tablespoons of water. Blitz until the dates ball together to form a dough like texture. Remove this mixture from the food processor and add to the bowl of grains. Using a wooden spoon (or finger tips) rub the grains through the date mixture until well combined.
- Firmly and evenly press mixture into the base of your prepared tin and then finally sprinkle puffed brown rice over top and press into base. Place in the freezer while you start on the filling.
- Back to the food processor, add the filling ingredients (minus the cocoa) and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Pour ½ of the filling over the base and return to the freezer for about 15-20 minutes to firm up slightly. While this is happening, add the cocoa powder to the remaining cheesecake filling and blitz to combine.
- When the previous layer has chilled and set slightly, pour the cocoa layer over top and smooth the surface.
- For best results leave to freeze overnight or at a pinch, 4-5 hours.
- Carefully remove cheesecake from baking tin, sprinkle with shredded coconut, and drizzle some melted chocolate over top. If you'd like to bring back some of the super grains, go ahead and sprinkle a few more over the top too. Slice into desired segments and serve immediately as is or remove from the freezer about an hour before serving for a softer cheesecake. Enjoy!
GIVEAWAY TIME! – CLOSED
Thanks to Tasti I have 3 of their SuperGrains packs to giveaway (one of each flavour) to one lucky reader. To enter, simply leave a comment below with your favourite Tasti SuperGrain flavoured bar!
The flavours are:
- Cocoa, Toasted Coconut & Quinoa
- Pepita, Chia & Manuka Honey
- Almond, Cranberry & Linseed
Entries to this giveaway end on 23rd September and the winner will be drawn at random that evening. Open to New Zealand readers only. Best of luck!
Thanks to all those who entered, it was great to hear all of your favourite flavours. If you missed out winning this time around, simply pop down to you local supermarket and see if you can nab some bars for yourself to try.
Congratulations to – Latifah Phillips!
Latifah, if you could please email me with your postal details and I’ll get these bars sent out to you ASAP. Thanks again for entering.
Thanks to Tasti for inspiring me with this recipe, and teaming up for this post.