I’ve personally tried several different cola inspired cupcakes in the past and nothing has really made me think ‘yeah I can taste a cola flavour here’. So I decided to come up with my own cola inspired recipe. Remember nothing can be more satisfying than the drink itself, but these spicy citrus flavours come close! Give it a go.
Also I’ve accompanied the cupcake with a whipped cream buttercream which bring it all together with a creamy cola-float feel. You can get the recipe for my whipped cream buttercream here.
- 175g Plain Flour
- 30g Cocoa
- 2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ Teaspoon Nutmeg
- 185g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 120ml Cola
- 120ml Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice (second measure)
- 100ml Oil
- Rind of 1 Lemon
- Flick the oven onto 170 degrees bake.
- In a large bowl sift all the dry ingredients together along with a pinch of salt.
- In a small jug measure the milk and add the first tablespoon of lemon juice. Set aside and leave to curdle for about 5-10 minutes. In essence you're making a nice tangy buttermilk.
- In a free-standing mixer add the eggs, vanilla, cola, oil, the curdled milk along with the final measure of lemon juice and lemon rind.
- Beat these wet ingredients until combined.
- On a low speed slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat again until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a measuring jug, then carefully fill paper case ⅔ the way full.
- Bake for between 16-20 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched.
- Cool and then ice with a swirl of whipped cream buttercream. Link to recipe above.
- For an added hit, just before serving sprinkling some cola flavoured popping candy over the buttercream (this can devolve, so make sure they are snapped up right away!)
Leave a Reply