It’s hard to imagine going a day without a good cup of coffee and generally that’s just a quick stop at my local cafe on the way to work. Now though, Nespresso has released three new limited edition coffees inspired by barista’s craftsmanship, which means I can enjoy my ideal café style coffee without even leaving home!
The three limited edition BARISTA coffees are BARISTA Corto, BARISTA Scuro and BARISTA Chiaro. Each are made to be paired with milk so they’re perfect for those of us who like our lattes, creamy cappuccinos or espresso macchiatos.
They even vary in intensity of flavour so not only can you can create the perfect cup to suit your preferred style of coffee, but also your taste. The smooth and creamy BARISTA Chiaro is intensity 5; BARISTA Scuro is intensity 8 and the dark-roasted BARISTA Corto is a blend of intensity 11 – ideal as an extra-intense ristretto. I’m a big fan of a large white whenever I go out, so I generally want it creamy with a decent intensity and lots of it. So, the BARISTA Scuro hits the spot for me. As an aside, the recyclable aluminum capsules look pretty cool too with a marbled design that looks like a milky swirl.
Adding to the barista-style coffee experience is Nespresso’s Creatista machine. Thanks to its automatic steam wand technology, this machine allows you to choose your preferred texture and temperature to create silky smooth milk – just like what you’d enjoy at your local café. Plus, it’s really fun and easy to use; can even create latte art – I just haven’t mastered that yet!
Of course that didn’t stop me from trying and I consumed quite a lot of coffee in the process…my Nespresso recycling canister was full to the brim with used capsules! Fortunately they’re easy to recycle – I simply popped them all into a post-paid Nespresso recycling bag and dropped them off at my local PostShop.
Getting in touch with my inner barista inspired me to create a delicious recipe that would perfectly complement this café experience. So I introduce my Coffee Biscotti Sticks, made using the intense BARISTA Corto coffee. These Biscotti Sticks are incredibly moreish – you may find yourself making another coffee and inviting friends around to join in on your at-home café experience!
- 170g Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Nespresso Coffee (I used BARISTA Corto)
- 100g Chocolate
- Flick oven onto 180 degrees bake and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Extract your favourite Nespresso coffee as an espresso and allow to cool.
- In a medium sized bowl add the butter, flour, baking powder and sugar. Rub together with your fingertips until you end up with a fine breadcrumb texture.
- Slightly beat the egg and cooled coffee together and add them to the bowl.
- Mix everything together until mixture starts to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead the dough slightly, add more flour if too sticky.
- Cut the dough into 20g segments, roll them into ball before using your fingertips to flatten and roll into strips/thin logs (roughly 15cm long).
- Place strips on baking sheet and bake for around 20-25 or until browning lightly on the ends.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, around 10-15 minutes.
- Return tray to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until biscotti has dried out. You may want to flip biscotti over if desired. Remove and cool completely.
- Place chocolate in a small pot sitting above a larger pot of boiling water. Make sure the smaller pot doesn't touch the water. Stir the melting chocolate with a spoon until smooth.
- Dip biscotti sticks halfway into the chocolate allowing excess to drip off. Place back onto a sheet of baking paper until chocolate has set.
- Make yourself another fresh Nespresso coffee, swirl your biscotti stick through it and enjoy!