I have a fascination with combining different flavours and creating unique experiences which invite curiosity. But what’s unique about a sweet caramel roll you ask? Well it’s not the roll itself, it’s how you serve it that will explore your senses and get people talking.
This roll is sweet, and it was intended to accompany an also sweet, yet savoury burger filling. If this doesn’t sound like you, simple eat it warm with butter – perfect. However if you’re feeling excited about trying out this delicious Brioche roll with a burger serving suggestion, I have the perfect recipe for you. Head on over to my Caramel Pulled Pork Burger ‘here’ to give it a whirl.
- 500g High Grade Flour + Extra if needed
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Salt
- 2 ½ Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Surebake Yeast
- 300ml Lukewarm Water
- 4 Tablespoons Caramel Filling
- 2 Large Egg
- 30g Butter - Room Temp
- + 1 Egg for brushing
- Measure warm water in a jug, then stir in caramel filling and brown sugar. Sprinkle in yeast and stir gently, allow to rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
- While resting, add flour and salt to the bowl of a free-standing mixer. Rub in butter until it resembles a fine crumb.
- Beat egg and add to flour, along with yeast mixture. Using dough hook, knead for about 10 minutes until dough comes together with an elastic texture. Add a little more flour if too sticky, a teaspoon at a time.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling wrap and place in a warm area for 1-2 hours until doubled in size. I like to use a hot water cupboard or a sunny spot.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead again lightly on a floured surface to remove any air bubbles. Evenly cut dough into 8 and roll into balls, stretching dough around and pitching tidily at the bottom.
- Evenly space dough balls across a lined baking tray, cover with a tea towel and return to a warm area for another 1-2 hours.
- Flick oven on to 200 degrees and preheat in preparation for baking.
- Beat and egg and brush dough all over. Place in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Remove and allow to cool.