Banana Bacon and Salted Maple Cupcake
- For the Cupcake
- 140g Self Raising Flour
- ½ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 12g Brown Sugar
- 125g Butter - Softened
- 2 Large Eggs
- ½ Ripe Banana
- 4-5 Rashers of Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- For the Top
- 330g Icing Sugar
- 150 Butter - Softened
- 4 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- First you'll need some crispy bacon cooked and cooled before starting the cupcakes. So line a tray with baking paper and grill your bacon until cooked and crispy. Once cooled, select 3-4 pieces of your cooled bacon and dice them up into small pieces and set aside. Reserving the other pieces of bacon for decorating later.
- Flick oven onto 180°C bake or 170°C Fan
- For the cupcakes, whisk together the sugars in a free standing mixer to break up any lumps.
- Next sift the remaining dry ingredients in the mixer.
- Add the eggs, butter, mashed banana, bacon and a pinch of salt to the mixer and beat for about 60 seconds.
- Lower the speed and slowly add the milk before turning mixer back up for about another 30 seconds.
- Fill paper case about two-thirds full.
- Bake between 16-20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Meanwhile beat butter in free-standing mixer for 5 minutes, scraping sides down occasionally.
- Sift icing sugar and add to the butter in two stages, beating for another 3 minutes between additions.
- On a slow speed add the maple syrup and sprinkle in a little salt. Note: I'll leave it up to you for the preference of saltiness. Start with ⅛ a teaspoon of salt, beat then taste again until you find your balance.
- Turn mixer speed back up and beat for another 5 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes are cool pipe a swirl of buttercream, jab some more crispy bacon on top and drizzle with some more maple syrup. Boom!